Thursday, July 31, 2008

2008 May 31 "Discovery" Launch

"I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.." - John 17:20-21
"Discovery" Launch @ Cape Canaveral
Just two months ago, we were here to visit Kennedy Space Center. Today, we were here to witness the launch of the space shuttle "Discovery", which was scheduled to launch on the afternoon of 31 May 2008. We drove to Titusville (just across the water from Cape Canaveral) to witness the launch. The drive along I-10 and I-95 was clear, but became really congested once we exit I-95 towards Titusville.
We found a great spot that gave us an unobstructed view of the launch site, and we parked our minivan there. Everyone was very excited. It was a clear blue sky day. Michele tuned the radio to the Mission Control Room channel and we could clearly hear what was going on. Then, the countdown ... 10, 9, 8, 7, ...
... 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, lift off!

Boom!!! The rocket propelled the shuttle into the sky at a very high speed. Then, the main rocket canisters separated and fell off from the sky. The shuttle continued its course into the sky until it was out of sight. What an awesome sight!

Labels: